Do Now: If Garcin, Inez, and Estelle left the room in No Exit, what do you think they would do? Would leaving constitute "condemning" themselves to freedom? Do they show signs of fearing freedom?
Today's Learning Target:
I will be able to explain how Sartre uses the characters Garcin, Inez, and Estelle to illustrate the stark consequences of leading a life that avoids responsibility and denies other existentialist principles (i.e., bad faith or existence precedes essence).
I will know that I have hit the learning target when...
-I can point to evidence in the play that suggests Garcin, Inez, or Estelle provides a cautionary tale of living without accepting responsibility for one's choices.
Agenda:
- Character studies
- Post-reading group work
- No Exit ticket: What is one memorable idea you will retain from No Exit?
Small Daily Task: Continue working on your method to meaning essay. The final draft is due at the beginning of class on 25 November.

No comments:
Post a Comment